Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Letter to a Senator

So, I recently learned that my senator, Harry Reid, was one of the ones that voted to cut military pensions. Well, this is the letter I sent to him, I doubt that I'll get a response, but here it is for all to see.

Senator H. Reid,

As a Veteran of the USAF, though I may be young, and was not old enough to have earned the pensions that so many of my other fellow veterans were able to acquire, I can honestly feel the sting of betrayal. While I myself did not lose any benefits this time around, due to changed to the budget, I lost all benefits that go with being a veteran, up to and including my GI bill. It is very likely Sir, that since my benefits were lost that I will not finish college any time soon.

There are others that are reaching the point in their life where they are old enough to serve, and now, may no longer consider a life in the military due to budgetary cuts to military benefits. I would ask you Sir, if you would be so kind, to perhaps personally address the concerns of not only veterans, but spouses, and dependents of military members to state in your own words why a vote to cut our benefits was necessary.

I certainly do not expect a response Senator, nor do I believe that I will get one. I learned in my brief time in the military that rarely will one stand up when they are questioned, and rarer still will one stand up to promises made, and convictions said to be held. I do not expect you to make right the wrongs that you and others have committed, I only wish to state that you have turned your back on the flag, you have turned your back on the blood of the brave millions that have served, fought, and died for the flag and nation that you claim to stand for.

All of that said Senator, I do wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Matthew Gerald Versluis, USAF 2008-2011

P.S.

I can only hope that you will at some point do right by all of us that have truly bled for the flag and will take our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment